Frequently Asked Questions



Do I need to operate from shop front premises?


Yes, our agents must operate from shop front premises. You may also operate from shared premises or integrate into an existing business in the right location.


Can I employ people to work for me?


Yes, as a Franchisee you can employ staff or choose to engage Associates on a self-employed basis.


We can work alongside you when you are recruiting Sales Associates. For more information, please refer to section 3 - the CENTURY 21 Support System.


Do I get my own website?


You will be provided with your own home page on our website,; where you are able to customise and publish your available properties. This way you have your own presence whilst benefitting from the centralised activities of our Marketing team, such as search engine optimisation and paid-for advertising online.


Where will my properties be advertised?


Your listings on the CENTURY 21 UK website will promote your properties in various ways, including:


• The leading property portals, subject to membership

•, the international property portal

• Social media channels


The software we provide will help you to create property lists and mailers.


Do I have to charge a set commission rate?


No, you have the ability at a local level to set the rates that you will charge clients for selling and letting their properties and any associated fees.


Do I need any types of insurance or memberships?


All estate agents in the UK must belong to a consumer redress scheme; you will have to become a member as


a requirement of our Franchise Agreement. You will also require Professional Indemnity (PI) cover. All estate agents in the UK must also be registered with the HMRC for money laundering purposes. We can advise on current fees for each of these requirements and assist with the process.


Is it compulsory that I have to do sales and lettings?


We recommend that all our Franchisees offer sales and lettings to their clients. This best serves your pro le and helps develop market share, together with giving you broad revenue streams.


What does the training course involve?


The initial induction training is for all new Franchisees and Associates, we will teach you everything you need to know to operate a successful sales and lettings agency. Everything from creating a professional sales process, strategic marketing, understanding legislation, software and client communication and documentation.


Ongoing training will be provided at our seminars and refresher training will take place to keep you abreast of any changes in legislation or best operating practices.


Where does training take place?


The induction training will take place either at our Training Academy in Nottingham, London or Glasgow.


What happens if I need help?


Launching a new business can be daunting and it is our aim to support you as you launch your new business as a CENTURY 21 UK Franchisee. As well as visiting your office regularly, you will also have a dedicated point of contact for any queries that you have in your day-to-day business. In addition, you will have access to regular seminars where you can meet your colleagues and share your business experiences. CENTURY 21 UK will also provide you with training for all office staff and Sales Associates.


What help will I receive to manage the lettings part of the business?


Our bespoke lettings management service removes much of the time-consuming administration work involved in property management. We provide services from rent collection, chasing arrears through to ad hoc and planned maintenance.


We will also ensure that your agreements are compliant with current legislation. This helps minimise your risk to the stringent regulations associated with lettings.


What options do I have at the end of the franchise term?


At the end of the initial term, you can renew your agreement with CENTURY 21 UK as part of the world’s largest residential estate agency organisation and carry on operating your sales and lettings business.


Will I be allocated a territory?


Yes, you will be allocated a protected territory around your operating location. This will be agreed prior to signing the Franchise Agreement.


Do I have to arrange my own sale boards and property brochures?


We have created standardised templates for all of your marketing materials, including your boards and brochures. We have negotiated a discounted rate with a national board supplier, as well as other providers who can produce your promotional collateral. You will be responsible for ordering and paying for the items.